Questions to ask Yourself About Your Portfolio.
- What type of investment vehicle(s) do I own? Examples include: mutual funds, individual securities, insurance products, a managed account.
- What is the underlying investment or asset within these vehicles? Canadian stocks, real estate, government bonds to name a few…
- What has been the Rate of Return on my portfolio over the last year? How much of that is income (dividends, interest)?
- If you deal with an advisor, do I have an Investment Policy Statement outlining my objectives for the funds, make-up of the portfolio(s) and how risk is controlled?
- What are the fees that I am paying on my investments? You may not see them but they are there.
- Is my portfolio being re-balanced (next week’s topic!)?